Nottingham 1B 12/17/12


These past few days have been a bit crazy and dramatic, but it's going good.  Nottingham is quite a big city.  Sister Brooks says it's a small one, but to me, it is massive!  I'm not sure where to start because there is so much I want to say and this computer has a timer on it.  But the flat we moved into is on the 5th floor of a complex and has the most spectacular view!  It sits right on the river Trent.  I could throw a stone into it from our balcony.  And you can see all of these big beautiful buildings in the distance.  It's definitely the best part about where we live.  At night it is all lit up and quite magical and there are these party boats that go floating by with loud music and flashing lights inside and you can see people dancing.  Looks kind of fun. Ha ha!

But our flat is definitely an elder's flat.  We spent our first 4 hours in it just cleaning and trying to make it a little better.  We found a small Christmas tree and I lined up all of my Christmas cards on the window sill next to the tree so we have a few decorations, but it still doesn't feel like Christmas.

The elders before had a few investigators and we've met 3 of them so far and they seem a bit promising.  One is a kid named Leo Smith who is 10.  His mom, Rosa, is a member and was baptized March 2011.  He's been taught for a while and the main issue is his unyeilding father.  Rosa and Leo came to church yesterday which was really good and hopefully we can make a difference in their lives.

The area book hasn't been updated for a while, so we have a lot of work to do.  It's actually really good because Sis.Brooks is good with white washing and leading out.  I have really enjoyed working with her so far.  We are keeping very busy which helps us not to think about Christmas because we are both missing our old areas.  We share the area with the zone leaders who are great guys, but we don't know them very well.  They have a car so they can give us a lift places, like to church. And they have been really good to figure out Christmas for us.  I think we are going to a family called Smith.  I believe they have Skype, but I have no idea what time I'll get to do it.  I'll have to email you when I find out for certain.  I can hardly wait.  I think that will be the best part about Christams this year.

The bike is a whole new ball game.  I seriously feel like I'm in a different mission.  My rear is sore and my thighs, but I trust that I will get in better shape as the days go.  If I stay here for the rest of my mission, I might just slim down a bit.  I can't complain (:  It's super scary, but I really enjoy the exercise.  Biking takes so much of my concentration that I don't have much time to think about anything else.  I am a lot more positive and happy about physical challenges than emotional ones, so I am actually quite happy and chipper most of the time.  Sis.Brooks has to be patient with me though because I am quite slow and sometimes have to walk up the steep hills.  I honestly think I can run faster than I bike. I keep telling her that she can carry my pack and bike and I'll just run next to her and then we'll be even. Ha ha!   I say a lot of prayers though when I'm biking.  Especially when we're in the busy part of town.  My thoughts are a continual long prayer that I won't be hit by the double decker bus moving 2 ft away from me.  Oh man, it is exhilerating!  We're living on the edge here. Ha ha!  And I also know why they haven't had sisters here for a few years, because we are in the ghetto of Nottingham.  There are a lot of different ethnicities.  We've only kocked on a couple of English people's doors.  A lot of Muslim, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Latvian, Chinese, etc.  Not too many Americans though. Now that I think about it, I have never knocked and had an American answer. 

The ward is alright.  I think it'll just take a little time for us to all warm up to each other, but they all seem pretty nice so far.  There are quite a few YSA, so that is really good because they are generally prime for going teaching with us.  We've had a few dinner appointments and people are preparing Christmas gifts for us, even though they have to change them to girly things rather than guy things.  It'll be better once we can get to know people better.

Yeah, it has all been just a bit crazy.  Sis.Brooks is great even though she is struggling.  She's super funny too. She joined the church 2.5 years ago, so she's been a missionary longer than a regular member. She was a personal trainer before her mission and was living on her own, had a career, and just packed it up to come serve.  It's great because I feel completely lost here and she's able to lead out and get us around this crazy town.  She's a good strong worker and has had a lot of challenges lately that make it difficult, but when we stay busy she seems to be fine.

 These past few days I have learned a lot. I do feel that this Christmas is a lot more focused on the Savior.  I realize that this is a new challenege to strengthen my testimony and that relying on the Savior is what will get me through.  The sooner I turn to Him, the better.  Quite often when we face new trials we try to get them on our own and hope that it'll just pass - at least that tends to be my attitude.  But there is no need to carry my burdens and try on my own when the Savior is right there waiting to help me.  He isn't there only when I'm about to break and want to give up and just cry, He is there for me even before I begin to feel the pressure.  With the Savior continually by my side He can help me pull the weight and I won't drive myself to the end of the rope.  If anything, I am full of gratitude this Christmas for my many blessings. Especially for the Savior and all of you guys. 

Thank you so much for your prayers.  I feel so very lucky to have such a wonderful family. I love you all very much and I hope you have a wonderful week before christmas!

 Ta ra!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comm. 150 Journal

When it Rains it Pours