A Wet Thanksgiving 11/26/12
Hello there! I
am glad you all had good celebrations. Yeah, it was pretty quiet here
with me being the only American and all. But I was thankful on Thursday
and remembered all the fun days of Thanksgivings past. The Hutchinsons made
a roast dinner for us - a very common British meal. They had a mini roast
turkey, mashed potatoes, roast sweet potatoes, cooked carrots and cauliflower, and
then you pour a dark gravy over it all. They even found a small bottle of
cranberry sauce. Their son Ivan just got home from his mission in Provo,
so I always have a good time talking to him because he understands me better
than anyone else here. But we didn't have any pie, which I was alright
with. I can wait another year to have pumpkin pie again. You can't
even buy canned pumpklin here. It was a good day though.
It has been pouring rain all week. The River Teifi that flows out to the ocean is way over full. We drive along it from Newcastle Emlyn to Cardigan and it is more like a long stretched out lake all the way. But we still had some good teaching opportunities. We did have another lesson with Zoe Hart and we taught the Plan and she really liked it. She asked all the questions that you want someone to ask. At the end I invited her to be baptized, but she indirectly said no. She's still just 'open-minded'. Pa! Oh well. She committed to pray about the Plan for now, so that's a step. Then we taught a girl named Anna Lima that Sis.Benson and I met ages ago. She's hard to catch at home because she works a lot and we only go to her town once or maybe twice a week. But she wants to come to church! She is 18 and moved from Portugal when she was 10 and hasn't found any good churches in Carmarthen to attend. Anna is super busy and can't get off work until the 9th of Dec. so we'll have to wait till then for her to come, but I am way pumped that we'll have someone to take to church! Then we taught Gloria Carter (75 yrs) last week and we committed her to baptism and this week we sort of have her on a date for the 22nd of Dec. She is a former investigator with a long long history and she's been real close to baptism, but hasn't given up smoking and made the plunge. Her health is really low right now, so she hasn't come to church yet either, but we're really going to work on her. With the Lord's help we might finally be the ones to help her through the gate. Part of me thinks it would be better to just let her die and then take her name to the temple. Ha ha! But it is better that she is baptized now in the flesh.
We went on a work over down to Merthyr with a three-some of sisters. Pres. Rasmussen has changed the way we do exchanges now and we don't swap areas anymore. Sis.Louis has been made the 'experienced' sister and we go to the sisters in our zone and both companionships work in one area, but we split up companions to work. It was a fun trip, but it rained the whole time and I did a lot of driving. I've never done so much driving in my life! This coming week we get to go to Cardiff for another one.
I'm taking my 2nd driving test this Friday and I am determined to pass! But I just received an email saying that driving examiners are going on strike, but I should turn up just in case my instructor isn't on strike. If he is, then they'll schedule me another test for free. So we'll see how it goes. Today was a good P-day though. Sis.Louis and I did some recording with our neighbor, Paul Bishop, a recent RM from France. He has all of this cool recording equipment so we went and had fun. Sis.Benson and I did some recording with a different member over the summer, but he didn't really help us so it's ok, but not as good as today's. I've made up a few songs and we did some hymns with my violin and such. Bet you can't guess what I'll be sending home for Christmas. Ha ha!
Anyways, I'm happy today and feeling good. I have honestly had a cold for about 7 of the past 8 months. Sis.Louis makes spicy food which helps clear everything. Ha ha! I hope this last week of November treats you well and I'll write you again next month!
Love you!
It has been pouring rain all week. The River Teifi that flows out to the ocean is way over full. We drive along it from Newcastle Emlyn to Cardigan and it is more like a long stretched out lake all the way. But we still had some good teaching opportunities. We did have another lesson with Zoe Hart and we taught the Plan and she really liked it. She asked all the questions that you want someone to ask. At the end I invited her to be baptized, but she indirectly said no. She's still just 'open-minded'. Pa! Oh well. She committed to pray about the Plan for now, so that's a step. Then we taught a girl named Anna Lima that Sis.Benson and I met ages ago. She's hard to catch at home because she works a lot and we only go to her town once or maybe twice a week. But she wants to come to church! She is 18 and moved from Portugal when she was 10 and hasn't found any good churches in Carmarthen to attend. Anna is super busy and can't get off work until the 9th of Dec. so we'll have to wait till then for her to come, but I am way pumped that we'll have someone to take to church! Then we taught Gloria Carter (75 yrs) last week and we committed her to baptism and this week we sort of have her on a date for the 22nd of Dec. She is a former investigator with a long long history and she's been real close to baptism, but hasn't given up smoking and made the plunge. Her health is really low right now, so she hasn't come to church yet either, but we're really going to work on her. With the Lord's help we might finally be the ones to help her through the gate. Part of me thinks it would be better to just let her die and then take her name to the temple. Ha ha! But it is better that she is baptized now in the flesh.
We went on a work over down to Merthyr with a three-some of sisters. Pres. Rasmussen has changed the way we do exchanges now and we don't swap areas anymore. Sis.Louis has been made the 'experienced' sister and we go to the sisters in our zone and both companionships work in one area, but we split up companions to work. It was a fun trip, but it rained the whole time and I did a lot of driving. I've never done so much driving in my life! This coming week we get to go to Cardiff for another one.
I'm taking my 2nd driving test this Friday and I am determined to pass! But I just received an email saying that driving examiners are going on strike, but I should turn up just in case my instructor isn't on strike. If he is, then they'll schedule me another test for free. So we'll see how it goes. Today was a good P-day though. Sis.Louis and I did some recording with our neighbor, Paul Bishop, a recent RM from France. He has all of this cool recording equipment so we went and had fun. Sis.Benson and I did some recording with a different member over the summer, but he didn't really help us so it's ok, but not as good as today's. I've made up a few songs and we did some hymns with my violin and such. Bet you can't guess what I'll be sending home for Christmas. Ha ha!
Anyways, I'm happy today and feeling good. I have honestly had a cold for about 7 of the past 8 months. Sis.Louis makes spicy food which helps clear everything. Ha ha! I hope this last week of November treats you well and I'll write you again next month!
Love you!
Comments
Post a Comment