4/3/2012
Hey guys!!!!
Well, I'm not going to lie, I'm glad I missed spring break at home. Ha ha! And I'm also very glad to know that Marc has more stuff than me. (: I think the cold traveled thru the email, because I've had a pretty bad one myself all week, but I'm getting over it and managing ok.
Wow, what a week! It feels like everyday we Eat, pray, and sit - and that's all we do! It will be nice to get out in the field and not be sitting all day, but I feel like I'm learning more than I ever have in my life! The teaching is still hard because there are so many important little things you have to do! But it really is good practice.
On Friday they took us in to Manchester to proselyte for a few hours. It was our 1st real missionary experience and it was a lot of fun. We rode on a train from Chorley to Manchester and Sis. Boman and I talked to this man who has lost all hope in God and purpose in life. He
was just coming from his mother's funeral and his only living relative now is his 22 yr old daughter. It just about broke our hearts. And then he wouldn't accept a pass along card or anything. That is the hardest part - people not knowing how much good we can do to help them. We were able to get a lady to agree to watch conference over the weekend. Another lady
gave us her number for the missionaries to pay her a visit. And we gave a homeless man a Book of Mormon. He doesn't really know how to read, but he said someone was teaching him and I told him that he could practice reading in the BoM. I don't know what will come out of that encounter, but I felt good about it. The day was really cold and it was so much fun to get out
into the city and talk to people. We'll go out again this Friday to Picadilly gardens and hopefully it'll go better since we know how this proselyting thing works (: Oh Mom, remember those coins you gave me? Yeah, they don't take them anymore because they are too old and I can't
exchange them anywhere. I think I'll take them with me this Friday and put them in the
beggar's cups. That might seem cruel, but we ran in to one guy that was really pestering us and we felt bad, but it turns out that he actually makes a ton of money off the missionaries on Fridays, so I'll take those coins if I ever feel obligated to give a guy like him money. And it's better than tossing the coins out the window. (:
Conference was really really good! It is interesting watching it from a missionary'e perspective. We got to watch both of the morning sessions live at 5pm. We watched the Saturday afternoon session on Monday morning and yes, I did see Spencer. A lot of the missionaries here had
friends in the choir so that was fun. We still haven't watched the Sunday
afternoon session because it was playing at 9 pm, but I think we'll watch it tomorrow
evening.
My time is about up, but I love you guys! One of the elders in my district, Elder Romney, has a brother with down syndrome, so I had a good chat with him last night about our siblings and it was fun. Elder Romney's dad is Mitt Romney's 1st cousin, so that's kind of cool. Elder
Wainwright from South Africa likes my curly hair because it looks like you
could hide a chicken in it. Ha ha ha! The weirdo! The elders are a bunch of goofballs and they keep things lively around here. The wild flowers here most consist of dandilions and daffodils. It's really quite beautiful! Today was the first day it actually rained. We went to the temple again and actually got to do sealings. The Walkers were the parents and we each got to be a child. It was a neat experience.
I love you!
Well, I'm not going to lie, I'm glad I missed spring break at home. Ha ha! And I'm also very glad to know that Marc has more stuff than me. (: I think the cold traveled thru the email, because I've had a pretty bad one myself all week, but I'm getting over it and managing ok.
Wow, what a week! It feels like everyday we Eat, pray, and sit - and that's all we do! It will be nice to get out in the field and not be sitting all day, but I feel like I'm learning more than I ever have in my life! The teaching is still hard because there are so many important little things you have to do! But it really is good practice.
On Friday they took us in to Manchester to proselyte for a few hours. It was our 1st real missionary experience and it was a lot of fun. We rode on a train from Chorley to Manchester and Sis. Boman and I talked to this man who has lost all hope in God and purpose in life. He
was just coming from his mother's funeral and his only living relative now is his 22 yr old daughter. It just about broke our hearts. And then he wouldn't accept a pass along card or anything. That is the hardest part - people not knowing how much good we can do to help them. We were able to get a lady to agree to watch conference over the weekend. Another lady
gave us her number for the missionaries to pay her a visit. And we gave a homeless man a Book of Mormon. He doesn't really know how to read, but he said someone was teaching him and I told him that he could practice reading in the BoM. I don't know what will come out of that encounter, but I felt good about it. The day was really cold and it was so much fun to get out
into the city and talk to people. We'll go out again this Friday to Picadilly gardens and hopefully it'll go better since we know how this proselyting thing works (: Oh Mom, remember those coins you gave me? Yeah, they don't take them anymore because they are too old and I can't
exchange them anywhere. I think I'll take them with me this Friday and put them in the
beggar's cups. That might seem cruel, but we ran in to one guy that was really pestering us and we felt bad, but it turns out that he actually makes a ton of money off the missionaries on Fridays, so I'll take those coins if I ever feel obligated to give a guy like him money. And it's better than tossing the coins out the window. (:
Conference was really really good! It is interesting watching it from a missionary'e perspective. We got to watch both of the morning sessions live at 5pm. We watched the Saturday afternoon session on Monday morning and yes, I did see Spencer. A lot of the missionaries here had
friends in the choir so that was fun. We still haven't watched the Sunday
afternoon session because it was playing at 9 pm, but I think we'll watch it tomorrow
evening.
My time is about up, but I love you guys! One of the elders in my district, Elder Romney, has a brother with down syndrome, so I had a good chat with him last night about our siblings and it was fun. Elder Romney's dad is Mitt Romney's 1st cousin, so that's kind of cool. Elder
Wainwright from South Africa likes my curly hair because it looks like you
could hide a chicken in it. Ha ha ha! The weirdo! The elders are a bunch of goofballs and they keep things lively around here. The wild flowers here most consist of dandilions and daffodils. It's really quite beautiful! Today was the first day it actually rained. We went to the temple again and actually got to do sealings. The Walkers were the parents and we each got to be a child. It was a neat experience.
I love you!
Comments
Post a Comment