4/16/12 The Welsh

Howdy do!
I said howdy to a girl at church yesterday and all the kids thought it was just hilarious. Ha ha! But it was SO good to hear from you guys! I seriously think Preparation days are my favorite because I get to hear from you all (: I was hoping to attach pictures, but my camera can't hook up to this computer. I quite often feel like I am in a fairytale here because it is just so beautiful! I love when we drive by the sea. There are only like 2 small beaches in a town called Aberporth and then the rest of the coast line is rock or the green fields extend right up to the waves. It's interesting.

These past few days have been pretty good. We spend a lot of time finding in random little villages around. So I have a pretty good taste of what the people are like around here. The little villages are mostly full of elderly people because it's quiet and out of the bustle of bigger towns like Cardigan. These older folks are typically not interested or they go to chapel. In order for a town to get a name it has to have a chapel in it. So they mostly belong to the Church of Wales. A lot of them are satisfied with that and a lot also don't want anything to do with religion because every war in history has been over religion or something like that. It's so sad because all they can see is Satan's side in religion. And we can't argue with them, so we usually just bear testimony and give them a mormon.org card. And it is amazing to see how the Lord prepares people to hear the word. We typically say the same thing at every door and a lot of times they'll just shut the door in our face and yet there are times when the person actually listens to what we say and will accept a book. Sometimes I don't know what to do when they actually listen because it happens so rarely. But the Lord has prepared people and even if there is only one person in a whole village, it is our responisibility to knock on every single door until we find that person.
The fun part about knocking doors is that 90% of them have a Welsh name on the side and we try and guess how it's pronounced. It's a pretty good conversation starter for when they open the door. So I'm learning how to pronounce some Welsh (: It's a weird language that sounds
like you have something stuck in your throat, but it's fascinating at the same time. Some of the villages have really long names that are fun to figure out. Our district leaders live in Aberystwyth, but that's not even the longest. And no, there aren't any other elders in our area; just Sister Benson and I.

The members here are really great. We've had a dinner appointment every night and 3 out of the 4 times we have had lasagna with the exact same pre-made garlic bread. It's really good stuff, but it's funny.

Well, I'm out of time. A family in the ward is taking us to see a castle today! But I wrote you a letter and your probably won't get it for another month, but I'll tell you more later.

I love you guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it Rains it Pours

Comm. 150 Journal