Rexburg, Idaho
I must admit that I hated it when I first got here. I was sad to leave to comfort and familiarity of Provo. This was the 3rd time I've moved in a year, and each time it is just as sad as the last. I've realized that I am very much a people person. I love interacting with people, working with them, and I also get attached to them. So it is always painful to leave and start over.
Now I have have finished my 4th week being here and I am coming to love BYU-Idaho. There is a different spirit here than at Provo. The kids here are so much more grateful to be here than those at Provo. I always took for granted what a wonderful blessing it was to be going to a church school. But the people here have made me realize just how truly blessed I am.
I am loving my classes. I think the classes here actually require more from you than some at Provo. In most of my classes in the past, I would just show up in a big class room, take notes, take a test every few weeks, and maybe write a paper or two. But here the classes are small, the teacher knows everyone's name and not only are you required to do studying before the class, but they have weekly quizzes and places online where you have to write how you are doing on your readings and insights you've received while studying.
I like the kids here. BYU-Idaho has a higher standard then Provo, and most Provo kids kind of laugh at it and pitty us who can't wear shorts in the summer and have to be in our apartments by midnight. But this is what helps to create the spirit here. All campus jobs require you to dress up, so over half of the kids you pass everyday are in their Sunday best (me included).
I think devotionals are my favorite. Everyone dresses up for it and they only show it in the BYU-Idaho center, which is a twin of the conference center in Salt Lake. I feel like I am at a fireside every week and everyone brings their scriptures and takes notes. It is quite amazing to get that many people together to hear the word of the Lord from our leaders.
Even though I pray everyday that the snow will start to melt, I am realizing that it's not the location or climate of where you are that makes a place wonderful, but the people that are in it and the spirit that resides there.
Now I have have finished my 4th week being here and I am coming to love BYU-Idaho. There is a different spirit here than at Provo. The kids here are so much more grateful to be here than those at Provo. I always took for granted what a wonderful blessing it was to be going to a church school. But the people here have made me realize just how truly blessed I am.
I am loving my classes. I think the classes here actually require more from you than some at Provo. In most of my classes in the past, I would just show up in a big class room, take notes, take a test every few weeks, and maybe write a paper or two. But here the classes are small, the teacher knows everyone's name and not only are you required to do studying before the class, but they have weekly quizzes and places online where you have to write how you are doing on your readings and insights you've received while studying.
I like the kids here. BYU-Idaho has a higher standard then Provo, and most Provo kids kind of laugh at it and pitty us who can't wear shorts in the summer and have to be in our apartments by midnight. But this is what helps to create the spirit here. All campus jobs require you to dress up, so over half of the kids you pass everyday are in their Sunday best (me included).
I think devotionals are my favorite. Everyone dresses up for it and they only show it in the BYU-Idaho center, which is a twin of the conference center in Salt Lake. I feel like I am at a fireside every week and everyone brings their scriptures and takes notes. It is quite amazing to get that many people together to hear the word of the Lord from our leaders.
Even though I pray everyday that the snow will start to melt, I am realizing that it's not the location or climate of where you are that makes a place wonderful, but the people that are in it and the spirit that resides there.
Comments
Post a Comment